Die Strecke der Landesstraße L 3178 zwischen Steinau/Uerzell und Freiensteinau/Holzmühl wird schrittweise erneuert. Die Fahrbahnbefestigung wird ab Freitag, 1. Juli 22 saniert.
Outstandingly well preserved Renaissance siteSteinau Palace (1525-1560)
Steinau palace is an extremely well preserved palace site of the 16th century. The self-contained Renaissance complex, former country residence of the counts of Hanau, was built from 1525 to 1560 commissoned by Count Philipp II. and later by Count Philipp III. of Hanau-Münzenberg, comprising the former medieval castle. Old documents indicate the start of construction in the year 1508.
Stonemason Master Asmus from Steinau executed the building measures. The building forms an irregular pentagon with four (originally five) wings, four corner sets ("pavilions") and two gatehouses in the north and south. The fifth wing in the south east was destroyed during the invasion of the Croats in 1634. It was completely removed some time later, but foundation walls are still to be distinguished.
An essential element of one of the earliest fortified palaces in Germany is the outer defensive fortification. The palace is surrounded by a moat, 4 to 5 metres deep and 18 to 25 metres wide, the so-called "Deer Moat". Game was kept here, thus the name. Today it houses a children's playground.
For everyone who loves fairy tales the castle offers a Grimm exhibition.
36396 Steinau an der Straße
Fon (0 66 63) 68 43
Fax (0 66 63) 75 18